Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Those Aren't Skid Marks!



Ever had someone accuse you of leaving skid marks? Until this morning, unless you were my wife, my answer would have been "no", but I guess I can't say that anymore.

As I pulled my Harley Davidson into the church parking lot after eating an incredible burger at our local bowling alley, I realized that I had been followed. A large man, probably somewhere in his 40's or early 50's, driving an old Ford truck, came to a stop in front of me and proceeded to jump out of his vehicle and start giving me a verbal smack-down.

This lovely man pointed to some black marks in the parking space I had parked my bike in, and with a pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket almost falling out, he began his loud tirade. He asked if I was the 'pastor'. He then spoke of how he often drove by our church and saw my motorcycle... and those black 'skid marks'. He described his disgust with how I could call myself a pastor and still feel as though it were okay to burn rubber (which is apparently against the laws of Missouri AND the law of God - Leviticus 14:40 perhaps?). He described how he had talked with "many other Christians" about my appalling behavior and that he was just waiting for a time when he could see me and confront me with my 'sin'. He stated that of all the people he's spoken with, none of them would ever consider attending a church where the pastor acted as hypocritical as I did.

When this gentleman finished, I asked if I could say just one thing in my defense... to which he gave a loud sigh, crossed his arms, pursed his lips and then an affirming nod. I pointed to the 'skid marks' he had been referring to and explained how they were, in fact, lines of black paint. I personally had painted those lines to cover some red paint stripes that had been left by the power company when they came and marked our parking lot to identify where the power lines were under the pavement. I described how, even if I wanted to 'burn rubber', I'm too much of a novice to even know how.

He walked over to the lines, bent down and rubbed them with his fingers... as if not believing me. He then said, "Well... I guess I can see the red lines under there after all." He then stood up, outstretched his hand and said, "Well, I'm a Christian and I attend -------- ------ Church and just felt that someone had to say something. Guess I was wrong about the skid marks. That sure is a heck of a bike you got there though!" Without any type of apology he got in his truck and drove off.

He left so quickly, he actually left a bit of a tire mark on our parking lot. Just kidding... but that would have been freakin' hillarious... and awesome!

Anyway... my daily reading today included Psalm 70, which ironically says:

"O God, hasten to deliver me; O Lord, hasten to my help! Let those be ashamed and humiliated who seek my life; Let those be turned back and dishonored who delight in my hurt. Let those be turned back because of their shame who say, 'Aha, aha!'
Let all who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; and let those who love Your salvation say continually, 'Let God be magnified.' But I am afflicted and needy; Hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my Deliverer; O Lord, do not delay."

My Bible calls this a 'Psalm of David' and if that's true, I was just wondering if David was ever accused of leaving 'skid marks'? I so appreciate being able to pick up my Bible and instead of finding some archaic book full of non-relevant stories that in no-way apply to where I'm living, I find something that absolutely blows my face off every time!

Like David, I am kinda feeling "afflicted and needy" today, yet if I'm seeking God I can rejoice and be glad - I can say, "Let God be magnified". You see, my life... and my happiness... are not determined by the actions of others, but by the actions of me. In the darkest of situations, when accusations are flying and we are faced with people talking behind our back in horrible ways, the ONLY thing that really matters... is Jesus.

So, let God be magnified. He's the Deliverer. He's the love of my life. And only He can take the skid marks of my life and make them inconsequential.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?