Friday, May 6, 2011

Love Wins - and anonymous cowards

Today I came into my office and had an anonymous letter sitting on my office chair. The letter was addressed to me, but with no return address. No name. Inside the envelope was a copied article, written by Ray Comfort, concerning Rob Bell's book, Love Wins. The article was titled, "Rob Bell Has Bad News for the Jews" (or something like that).

I skimmed the first two sentences and then quickly wadded up the article and threw it in the trash. It was garbage.

Here's why I feel this way:

First, Ray Comfort is not someone that I believe should be listened to. He promotes an evangelism formula called "The Way of the Master", which ironically, is exactly the way the Master did NOT evangelize. His ministry is one that I would never support, let alone recommend ANYONE be involved with. I think Mr. Comfort's ideas, teachings, and conclusions are bogus, anti-Biblical, and dangerous to say the very least.

Second, if someone wants me to read something, or discuss a topic, then have enough courage to sign your name or come in and talk with me. I will not take the time to read extremely long articles or books that are left and "emails" sent to me by anonymous folks. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Third, please stop sending me articles concerning Rob Bell's book and other hot-topics. I have a computer. I know how to research and study. I don't need 50 counter-viewpoints shared with me every time I stand up and declare something. I would spend 20 hours a week reading all the "stuff" people send me. That's not going to happen. If you have a legitimate question and feel it merits a discussion. My door is open. Come in and let's talk face-to-face.

As for Rob Bell's book, Love Wins, Love does indeed win. Chew up the meat and spit out the bones. Nothing major in my belief system is altered by what Rob claims in his newest book. Nothing has changed with what I've been teaching, as pastor of Desperation Church, for well over a decade. I will always support the message of 'love' and the message that the Kingdom of God is happening NOW. Real, authentic life does not begin when you take your 'last' breath, but your 'next' breath.

Thanks for reading.

Michael Craft

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?