Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What's a God-Follower to do with Halloween?

This time of year is truly my favorite. The weather alone, with it's crisp cold mornings, and it's overcast skies, reminds me of growing up in Oregon. I just like it. It's also the time of year all five of my children have their birthdays, so that's pretty neat. I love the holidays too, so the thought of Thanksgiving and Christmas being just around the corner is also wonderful. I just really love this time of year... with one exception: I've never been a fan of Halloween.

I realize that it's the second biggest commercialized holiday, as far as selling stuff. I also get that it's a blast to go to parties and dress up in costumes. And whoever doesn't like candy, especially free candy, has got an issue that perhaps can only be dealt with through 'much prayer'. However, in spite of all that... I just hate this day. 

Those that know me well, know that I'm not the Bible-thumping guy that condemns stuff very often. I'm just not that guy. Be that as it may, I am asked often, especially by young parents, about this holiday, so I hope you'll keep reading and hear my heart.

First, a bit of background. [Truthfully, if you research the Internet, by typing: 'Halloween and the Christian's Response', you'll be inundated with information. If that's your thing, then this short description will only wet your appetite, and that's fine. It's not really my purpose of this blog.] The Roman Catholic Church established October 31st as 'All Holy Mass' in 800 AD. They had already established November 1st to be "All Saints Day" and November 2nd to be "All Souls Day" around the year 350 AD. These days were days to literally 'think about the dead'. All Saints Day was a day for them to set aside and consider the lives of the saints that had passed, to appreciate their lives and ministries. The next day, 'All Souls Day' was a day set aside to consider others that had passed, those that weren't necessarily saints, but perhaps good people that a person knew personally in life. These two days, then, were set aside to think about the dead. The night preceding these two days, October 31st became a night to prepare oneself for thinking about the dead, thus 'All Holy Mass' or 'All Holy Eve' or 'All Hallows Eve' or "Halloween".

All of this is simply a brief overview, again for more information - look it up. However, as nice as all this sounds, truthfully it was simply a way to 'Christianize' a day and time that was already being celebrated for hundreds of years. Many years previous the Druids had chosen November 1st as their Occultic New Year, also called "Winter Samhain'. Samhain was believed to be 'the lord of the dead' and on the eve of Winter Samhain, it was believed that the spirits of the dead roamed the earth, especially in places like cemetaries and such. These spirits were said to have many times inhabited animals, and were particularly in favor of possessing black cats. It was said that whenever you saw a black cat arch it's back, you were witnessing a spirit who wasn't so happy. Folks would gather on these nights and light large bon-fires, dress up as various animals, and dance around in hopes of keeping the 'evil' spirits from getting near them (apparently everybody knows that evil spirits hate bon-fires). There, supposedly, has been accounts of child sacrifices happening on these nights, and people placing turnips (pumpkins) on their door steps to ward off other evil stuff. As the years passed, other rituals became known and regular customs, such as bobbing for apples (which had a meaning having to do with infertility), placing sweet cakes on the porch (called 'soul cakes') to appease evil spirits, and so on. It's important to note that these were very real beliefs to people, and this night was a dreaded night of terror and darkness for many. They lived in fear on this night.

These beliefs had become so prevalent to so many people, that the Roman Catholic Church wanted to make the best of a very dark situation, and thus they created the 'holidays' I've previously described. So, what does this mean for us today?

Let me say, that I believe that God is deadly serious about His followers being involved with anything that resembles witchcraft. The Old Testament Book of Deuteronomy has a law that addresses some of this stuff, and I believe, is very much still applicable to those that have a heart to follow God today. It's found in Deuteronomy 18:9-12, and declares: "When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not imitate the detestable customs of those nations. No one among you is to make his son or daughter pass through the fire, practice divination, tell fortunes, interpret omens, practice sorcery, cast spells, consult a medium or a familiar spirit, or inquire of the dead. Everyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord, and the Lord your God is driving out the nations before you because of these detestable things."

Many of the founding fathers of the country of America felt strongly about NOT celebrating this particular 'holiday'. It was forbidden in much of the 'new world', and a group called the 'Puritans' went so far as to hunt down and kill people that were thought to be involved. Do I think they were right in doing some of these things? No. History tells us that many women were murdered during this period of time, and it was nothing but the religious people doing what religious people seem to have always done, and that is react to sin by condemning sinners, rather than loving them into the arms of Jesus. But that's my opinion.

I do think that we've gone pretty far in the other direction. We don't burn witches anymore, but we do 'exalt' them. If you think about it honestly, we celebrate pretty dark things, don't we? We 'exalt' musicians who use Occultic things as their 'shtick', and dark subjects and themes have saturated our culture. Movies and television shows depicting witches, vampires, zombies are absolutely the 'norm'. It sorta seems like a far divergence from the command in Exodus 22:18 that states: "You shall not allow a witch (sorceress) to live".

"Okay, but Michael... what about 'grace'?"

Yeah. What about it?

Last year, in our little town, a church had a Christian alternative to Halloween and there appeared a group of protesters holding signs that condemned them, such as, "There's No Candy In Hell".

Is that the answer?

"What are you going to do, Pastor Michael? How have you dealt with this holiday with your kids? Are you going to darken your house, by turning off the porch lights, and if by chance some little pirate or princess or Captain America comes and rings your doorbell, are you going to shoo them away and say 'We don't believe in Halloween!'"

What is the God-follower's response to be?

Ready for my answer. I'm going to do what I've done each year of my life that I've been passionately in love with Jesus Christ. I will seek God's direction, and endeavor to hear His voice on the subject... yet again.

I won't get caught up in the Halloween spirit, but rather be guided by the Holy Spirit on what I should do. James 1:5 states, "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

If the Lord leads you to totally ignore this holiday, right on. I take my hat off to you and say a hearty 'amen'!

If you feel the Lord convicting you to be a light in your neighborhood, your community, and leave the porch light on and hand out candy to all the kids, with a big smile and a "God bless you, be safe!" If that's your conviction, after praying it through, then I applaud that too!

If you are not going to give away candy, but instead are going to give away an 'alleged' Gospel tract... I have a problem with that... unless it's attached to the biggest stinking candy-bar they sell. THAT might get someone to read it. (As long as it's not a tract that promotes the condemning of Halloween or some other 'thing', and it shines a light on the Light of the World, JESUS).

The Bible teaches us that whatever we do, in word or in deed, do all to the glory of God. I like that. What I'm suggesting is that you and I simply be aware of what's going on and ask the Lord to show us what is right in His sight for our families.

He might lead you into other alternatives or give you the freedom to go trick-or-treating with your kids. I sure won't fight you on that, or condemn you for it, as long as you've prayed about it sincerely, saying, "Lord, I love You... and I want what You want for me and my family in this situation."

I truly believe that God loves it when we go to Him with our questions like this. His heart is not to bum us out, but to bring us closer to Him... in all things.

"Man, Michael... I read this really long blog and thought you'd tell us what to do. This sucks."

I am. Walk in the Spirit.

This is a major principle of the New Covenant prophesied about in Jeremiah 31:31-34. "...I will put My teaching within them and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be My people...". God's laws - God's commands - are not only written in tablets of stone, but on the tablet of flesh that is your and my heart. His Holy Spirit resides within us, and can lead us into all truth.

That's awesome.

Now, if you said, "Michael, I just have this peace and good feeling about getting some extra cash by going into the local convenience store and robbing it." Well... then I've got a problem, because the Bible is very clear about stealing. That's right there in black and white (and red for that matter). But the truth is, I can't find a verse that says, "Thou shalt not let your child trick or treat!"

Yeah, but Michael, doesn't it say in Romans 12:2, "Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..."? 

Yes, it does. I LOVE that verse! But what does that mean in this situation? You and I must let the Holy Spirit reveal to us and guide us in all truth even as Jesus said that He would.

So there you have it. If anyone is still reading all this at this point, I'll be sorta surprised. I realize that there are a multiple of beautiful God-loving people that will greatly disagree with me, and my stance here. That's okay. I love you.

I pray that each of you do have a safe October 31st, and that, although we'll be surrounded by skeletons, witches, goblins, zombies and other stuff that symbolizes 'death'... that you and I will forever be a reflection of the One Who declares Himself, "the Light of the world".



3 comments:

  1. Thank you PMC! Light, Life and Love are the exact opposites of Darkness, Death and Fear. Miss you all - Team Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to amaze me with your wisdom on some of these areas that we all question! Thanks for a great post! Miss my Craft family!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?