Friday, July 19, 2013

Difficulty of leaving the ministry

This week I've been preparing to preach my last message at Desperation Church, and perhaps my last message ever... or at the very least, a very, very long time. While reading, I found an article by a man named David Hayward that talked about some of the reasons it is so difficult for a pastor to leave the ministry. I wanted to share his ten reasons, with some comments of my own. The reason I do this, is so that others out there might understand some of the turmoil that is being experienced and hopefully send up a few prayers my family's way. So, here's some of the bummers about walking away from ministry, in no particular order other than how Mr. Hayward put them:

money: Like any other career change, it is very frightening to let your salary go. Even if it might be an insufficient one, it is still difficult to let go of your guaranteed income. Most pastors have no idea how they will provide support for themselves and their families if they leave.

family: Especially if your family is Christian, they had so much pride in the fact that you were “serving the Lord“. Pastors will anticipate a great deal of disappointment from their families when they walk away from this very special calling that so many people took such delight in.

self: When pastors get ordained, they vow that they will never, ever give up. They promise that they will serve the Lord and His body until death. To even think about surrendering this induces an incredible amount of personal shame.

theology: I always took great comfort from scriptures such as, “Run the race. Fight the good fight.” These passages helped me in the worst of times to persevere. To quit the ministry evokes enormous feelings of spiritual failure.

vocation: Most pastors are very specially trained. They have focused their whole lives and educations on theology and ministry to others. It is feared that to walk away from the only job that employs these specific skills is to expose oneself to a completely unmarketable and unemployable position. Usually it requires retraining, which in itself is pretty stinkin' daunting to face.

congregation: To leave the ministry is to walk away from the congregation that the pastor has served. It can feel like abandoning your family. In fact, some might accuse the pastor of being a false shepherd who abandons the sheep. To anticipate this painful separation is excruciating.

enemies: Yeah, believe it or not... I have them. Those who have questioned, ridiculed or even opposed the pastor’s ministry will suddenly have all the ammunition they need to say, “I told you so!” Pastors can hear that leaving the ministry was proof that they shouldn’t have been a pastor to begin with. It feels like throwing in the towel, and there are people who love to cheer that demonstration of surrender. Don't believe me? The very weekend after I announced my resignation there was in attendance a woman who swore she wouldn't attend DC again if I was the pastor. So... why was she there? And was it just me, or was there a sinister smile on her face the entire time I spoke?

meaning: To leave most jobs doesn’t bear the weightiness that leaving the ministry does. Leaving the ministry carries an existential significance that shoots a resigning pastor into the darkest of nights because, as most pastors sense, their job wasn’t just a job, but an extension of their spiritual selves. Ministry is the expression of their convictions, and to leave the job appears to be the desertion of these core convictions.

waste: All pastors are taught and believe that they are planting seeds. They toil year after year with faith that one day their labor will bear fruit. To consider leaving the ministry is to consider relinquishing the garden and to leave it untended or under the care of another who might not share the same commitments. The feelings are all to real, that all that work might be gone to waste without any chance of sharing in the harvest, if it ever comes.


friends: When pastors leave the ministry, they leave friends. For one, they are walking away from their peers in ministry. They are quitting that team. But they are also walking away from people they’ve served and loved through their births, baptisms, marriages, divorces, deaths, tragedies and spiritual pilgrimages. They are saying farewell to people they have loved in very significant ways, intuitively knowing that walking away from the community network will also endanger their chances of that ever happening again.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Pastor Michael, you are so incredible at what you do. I just feel strongly that I need to say this. Don't you EVER let the enemy of our souls make you feel like you are anything other than a totally Spirit-inhabited, strong, EFFECTIVE child of GOD! You have been so deeply instrumental to my walk with Christ over the years, even in the ones where I have been unable to actually attend DC in person - your messages online encourage and bless me, the counsel you've given me in the past continues to lead me, and the message of your life continues to inspire me.

    I don't know all the details of what's happening with your family, but I KNOW in my heart of hearts that you would never leave ministry at DC unless it were absolutely necessary - unless God were calling you somewhere else. And it sounds like that somewhere-else is a bit unknown and painful right now. But don't you dare give up. Don't you feel defeated (okay, you can feel those things for a minute, because you're hurt, and we all go through those times! but don't let it overtake you!). I know we see ourselves differently than others do. Sometimes we're our own worst critic. So I hope this word from someone you have ministered to in a life-changing way will help you see that you are truly, really, honestly a PROFOUND force for the Kingdom in this world. You are more than a pastor and a leader, you are a life-changer! I'm actually kind of sobbing as I write this, because I wish I could be there this weekend at the place I call my home church. I'm stuck in town due to other obligations, but I WISH I could be there to give you a huge hug and tell you face to face how much of a difference you have made in my life. But I can tell you here, at least, so I hope you will take this to heart: Pastor Michael, YOU HELP ME SEE JESUS. And you help me love him more, and better. And whether we see each other in this life again or not, as much as it hurts to say that - I just wanted to tell you that, because it's more than I could have ever asked for in a pastor, teacher, leader, shepherd, prayer warrior, counselor, and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Michael and thank you for your years of faithful service to DC and to the Liberty area. I am thankful for the short time that my family was attending DC, and thankful for your passion and zeal to preach the word. May God continue to provide his bounty for you, Kelli, and the kids as you begin your journey to the next stop in His road for you. Blessings and love. Hobie Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor Michael,

    Thank you for your raw honesty, and for sharing your feelings and fears with us. We have been, and will continue to be bathing you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastor Michael,
    The seeds that you have planted here will continue to bear fruit for many years--unfortunately you may not get to see them all this side of heaven. However you choose to move forward in serving God, you are ministering. You take the love and prayers of everyone at DC with you as a hedge against the enemies attacks. You and your family will always be in our hearts as I'm sure we'll be in yours, and you will be missed. But please don't feel like a failure or that you are throwing in the towel. God still has great plans for you! And we can look forward to the day we will all be together FOREVER! :-) Blessings and love, the Bond family

    ReplyDelete
  5. As we told you last week, we were not able to be at your final message as family duties called us away. As soon as we got home tonight we listened to your message. It was just as phenomenal as the first one we heard just under two years ago. We pray the biggest blessing on your family with this church and THANK YOU and your family for all that you have given. I personally have been so convicted and ministered to in your final message here. Your testament has been to follow Jesus-loud and clear!! Spiritual hugs to you all!! You will be so dearly missed and always loved by everyone.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?