Thursday, December 26, 2013

Is Ministry On The Horizon?

It has been quite a while since I have given an update. It is the day after Christmas and I actually have a few moments to sit and catch those who might be interested up on our lives.

Kelli is feeling much better. This, of course, was the main reason for our relocating to Colorado. It is truly a blessing to have her up and about, laughing, and able to be involved in our lives like she used to be. She is missing being in ministry very much, and sometimes gets lonely, missing her friends and those from Desperation Church that she was so close to.

Our five children are all healthy and doing well. Conor is on staff at Rev5, and is loving the chance to disciple and mentor other young people in their relationships with Jesus. Kolten is working for a computer company and designing web-sites. He is also engaged to be married, to an incredible young lady, on June 5th. His fiance', Amy, has become a special part of our family. Caleb is 17 in three days and is doing great. He's applying at different jobs and looks to be getting hired on at Papa Murphy's Pizza (I am praying that he is, because I absolutely love their take-and-bake pizza, and feel that the Lord is strongly leading him in this specific direction). Michaela just finished being in the play, "A Christmas Carol". She stole the show and is growing into an awesome woman of God. Merci is also growing and doing really well in school. She has not made many friends, and this is something that we are praying for daily.
We've attended multiple churches, but settled at a Calvary Chapel church, which is located just two houses away from where we live. We love being able to walk to church, and the worship and teaching have been nice. We miss 'community' there, however, and wish for closer relationships with others. We're confident that God will bring that in His time.

I have worked at Schwan's Food Company for about three months, but have recently resigned. I was working 13-15 hour days and, although I was successful in the company's opinion, the hours were requiring me to be apart from the family too much. So, I find myself, once again, in the process of looking for employment.

The Lord has been up to much... in me... during these past four months. I have found that the 'pastor' inside of me is not so easy to suppress. Over and over I find that I land smack dab in a conversation with a customer or co-worker, or someone else I randomly encounter, where I am sharing God's great love and grace. I am often asked if I would ever consider starting something new... where I could share Christ more regularly. What is strange is that these requests are coming mostly from non-believers, and those who have walked away from the Church. This has caused Kelli and I to begin prayerfully considering pioneering something. We are not even sure what it is, or what it could look like.

Having Kelli back... and excited to serve Jesus, in this way, again... has been refreshing and rejuvenating for me. Although there are hundreds of churches in Colorado Springs, we actually live near the city of Manitou Springs, where there are surprisingly few churches, and surprisingly many who are needing Jesus. So Kelli and I are prayerfully considering what the Lord might have for us in the future. Truthfully, we have so many questions: Should this be a 'church'? Should it be a simple Bible-study? Should we podcast (something we receive quite a few requests for)? How can we pay for this? How can we practically minister to the poor, which is our heart, while allowing us to teach verse-by-verse and emphasize community and family? Do we know enough people that have the same heart who would partner with us? Should we start something brand new, or simply join something that is already existing?

As you can see... we are still seeking much direction. One thing I am certain of: I want to glorify Jesus, without it becoming a 'show'. So much of what we've witnessed has become all about the production of weekend services and pleasing people, rather than authentically seeking God's creative, unique will... and guidance. Galations 1:10 is still one of my life's verses: "Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." Serving Christ with passion and authenticity is something that we've found to be a rare and special thing... when, and if, it is found.

Of course, I still must feed my family and pay the bills... so I'm looking for employment, as I consider all of this. I'd ask all those who know us well... who are still reading all this... and who pray, to please lift our family up to the Master. We desperately want God's perfect will for us. We want Him to be be seen in us. 

We simply want Him to be authentically seen... period.

I'd appreciate your prayers... and your thoughts and comments, if you have them. May God bless you in this coming year, and may Jesus receive the massive glory that He's due, through the way each of us are living our lives.


Michael

26 comments:

  1. Hey Craft family, so glad to get an update. We will be praying for your family for the upcoming year!! It is exciting to hear that you (Michael) are getting excited about ministry again. I always knew that your heart was that of Gods and that you would again be in the ministry. As we have stated many times since you left and before that we would love to see a pod cast that would minister to so many people. So we will be praying for that to happen and that you will find the funding to do whatever God puts on your heart as a final decision. Love you guys may God give you peace and hope for this year!! The Lynn's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tommy. Your words of encouragement mean more than I can express!

      Delete
  2. So glad everyone is flourishing. I vote podcast so the word may be spread far and wide. Hope the next job is THE One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin... I miss ya!
      A new web-site and podcast are in the works as I write this. Stay tuned...

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that your Schwan's employment has ended, as I was in the final stages of drafting a letter, requesting a video podcast of your travels. Sadly, this dream has ended. On the other hand, it's exciting to hear that ministry is still on your heart. God has used you so much in Allison's and my life over the last few years at D.C., and it'd be cool to see CO catch fire in a fresh way (spiritually--not from a wildfire, like the one that kept us from going to the Royal Gorge in August). Like you've said, God's not done with this world, to be sure, and he's not done with you either, it seems, which is really exciting. It's just great to know that Kelli is well, and we look forward to you all moving back to K.C. soon. I miss you guys a lot, and I hope you all had a fun Christmas. The pictures are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you Jared Prewitt... you weird, strange, funky little man! I miss talking with you and constantly wondering if you were kidding or being serious.
      Seriously, you are loved and missed big time!

      Delete
  4. Sarah Green here, so glad to hear that Kelli is feeling better and glad to hear from you in general! I'm praying for you guys and me and my family love and miss you! Many Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah!!!! Man, I miss you and your family! I received a letter from your sister that made me cry for hours. I will be writing her back, please let her know for me. I love and miss you all so very much!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you Vicki... not sure why your comment was deleted.

      Delete
    2. I thought you deleted me??!! Twas not I.

      Delete
    3. P.S. You know that I adore you, Michael, including every single one of the Craft family!! Love to Kelli!! Glad to know you didn't delete me!!

      Delete
  6. I love and miss the Craft family! Just had to say that first!

    Michael - I have been looking forward to seeing a post just like this. God's light shines through you with an amazing strength, full of love! And there is just NO BETTER PREACHER THAN YOU! I have been praying that what you have wouldn't be lost! I know the hardships that you have endured. I know the joys that have been so welcome. Truly miss sharing them with you. I say that because of two things: being my pastor for 17 years and my boss for 3! Wouldn't have traded any of it! Miss you all the time! And a big thank you for helping me walk through the difficult issues that I went through!

    Kelli - So happy to see the report that you are doing better! You have had such an amazing story to share of "strength" before all of this health issue. God has added one more piece to your story. Now, you are going to be a wonder-woman for all who hear what you have survived! Not that is a title that you would want, but it is what Jesus has pulled you to! You are an amazing woman and respected tremendously by me! Miss you so much! I know how it feels to move away from all of our DC friends. The first year out here in Colorado was very hard with many tears. I would welcome your call anytime....even if we just sob together! Love you my dear friend!

    Please hug all of you for me! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gay, we miss you and have been talking about trying to make our way up to you guys soon. Life is crazy, but you are worth it. We love you. So sorry I suck so bad at communicating! Just know you are loved!

      Delete
  7. You're in the perfect place to begin something new! Great to hear that everyone is transitioning well and especially that Kelly is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw this! So good to hear that Kelli is feeling better and that everyone else in the family is really thriving. I hope and pray that God will continue to guide and direct you guys as you seek His will for what's next. You guys rock and I'll be looking to read a good report soon. Love you all and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you thought of creating a YouTube channel to spread your word? If you want to get into something similar to a podcast, but doesn't cost you any money, it's a great way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that bro, I'm actually seriously looking at some pretty cool opportunities. This blog will be THE FIRST to know exactly what I'm up to. I promise!

      Delete
  10. You know the mad love I have for you and your family. I am glad to see in your comments that some cool opportunities are on the horizon. Your message needs to be heard..one way or the other. You put God's love in a new context for those of us who never understood what healthy love looked like. I know God is going to work through you and that beautiful wife of yours in a big way. Not to even mention those amazing kids of yours. Don't forget about the call that you were feeling when we talked in your office...the least of these need to hear your message of truth too. Anyway...just because you aren't here doesn't mean that I'm not still thinking of you at the HD stores :) Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, Holly, Holly... I love you, miss you, and think you are cool. That's about all I have to say about that.

      Delete
  11. My vote is do all the above. I would not hold back if this is what God is calling you to do. Miss you all and thank you for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike! Hey I found this when looking for you! It sounds like we have a lot to catch up on, I would love to talk to you and hear more. Also, I have some important things to share with you, please call me as soon as you can! Love you man! Greg Suender 509-475-1080

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should know I'm doing cartwheel's right now. It's not too pretty and the chance of something being broken is a probability but what can I say other that HOW GREAT THIS WOULD BE!!!!
    You obviously know how much I value the insight God has given you with regard to sharing scripture with myself and others. The idea of being able to listen/study with you is AMAZING!! The only request is that you pre-record Kelli's laugh and insert if after your jokes so that it will feel like the old days :-)
    Love y'all…my day just got better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Michael,
    Been meaning to reply for a long time. I hope you guys are doing well - it sounds as if things are going good and everyone is adjusting to life in Colorado. Words cannot express how much we miss you and the family. What a joy it was to see Connor a couple of weeks ago - it's almost like he never left! God may have closed the DC chapter of your life, but I know He has something special planned for you. Please continue to post what's going on. We miss the words that God spoke through you and have a very empty hole in our lives and hearts because of your absence. We continue to pray for you. Vicki and Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss you Pastor Michael, I miss your face and The Father's Word coming from your mouth:) I am so happy and thankful to know that Kelli is feeling so much better, it really shows in the pictures I've been seeing on Instagram; ) Praise God! Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?