Friday, March 19, 2010

Sadistic?


It’s been a weird week for me. I’ve had more tiredness (perhaps due to Daylight Savings time?), more burn-out, and I suppose just more need for refreshing than in quite a while. I received three different reports from people that they had heard ‘rumors’ about me (One rumor was that I drink to get drunk and party with folks in the church all the time. The other rumors were basically the same type of thing having to do with being a false Christian, tattoos, drunk, lover of gays, etc. Each time I receive reports like these I struggle with wanting to defend myself in order to have a good reputation with ‘men’ and the enemy beats on me pretty good about it).

I told my wife this morning that I was looking forward to just spending some time alone with God today and reading the Word… for me personally… not to prepare for the weekend’s message. So, as I began the daily reading plan for today, I found myself chuckling. I think God has a sense of humor that’s downright satirical sometimes… if I didn’t know Him and His loving character better I might even say ‘sadistic’.

First, I was sent to the Book of Numbers (the fourth Book of the Old Testament) chapter 28 and began reading through a long list of specific instructions on certain offerings (burnt offerings, grain offerings, Sabbath offerings, nodding off…erings). This is incredibly in-depth material, and although super important to the Israelites at the time, seemingly unpractical for me presently. I was anxiously in anticipation of getting through this stuff and getting to my New Testament reading for the day. So, once I had trudged through Numbers I proceeded, as instructed, to Luke 3:23-38. Praise the Lord… It was a riveting genealogy! You know, one of those passages of the Bible that goes on and on with unending and delightful substance like, “the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, the son of…”.

It was at this moment that I prayed a short and powerfully holy prayer that sounded something like: “Lord, what’s up? Did you not get the part where I’m feeling like I need some refreshing? Do you not get that I could have gone out and ‘fleshed out’ (that’s a made-up term meaning gotten drunk or something even stupider in an attempt to drown away depression and burn-out)? Do you not understand that I could have sought help from Oprah? I mean, c’mon Lord! I actually made the effort to open up the Bible and read it. Couldn’t You at least have it say something significant and maybe just a tiny bit relevant?”

Like I said, it was powerfully holy.

Then I turned to the verse I was supposed to read in Proverbs, which had within it, (“He who is steadfast in righteousness will attain to life”11:19).

The word “steadfast” jumped out at me. Steadfast means, “firm in purpose, resolution, faith, attachment, etc”.

“Okay, Lord. I’ll keep going. I’ll be steadfast. But You better start speaking pretty soon Buddy.”

The final portion of Scripture to be read would be a short chapter from the Book of Psalms (62). It starts out: “My soul waits in silence for God only; From Him is my salvation. He only is my Rock and my Salvation, my Stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken.”

The writer (some guy named David) then goes on to talk about how bad guys are always coming down on him. He even says that "They delight in falsehood; They bless with their mouth, but inwardly they curse". He then basically repeats that first line again: "My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him. He only is my Rock and my Salvation, my Stronghold; I shall not be shaken."

At this point, I'm starting to get it. Unfortunately, I don't have time to write of all God opened my heart to in this chapter, but for the sake of my point in this blog, allow me to simply say... He spoke to me in a pretty cool way.

Proverbs 62 ends this way: "Once God has spoken; Twice I have heard this: That power belongs to God".
The Message translates that this way: "God said this once and for all; How many times have I heard it repeated? 'Strength comes straight from God'."

I don't know if anyone reads these ponderings of mine. I guess it doesn't really matter. What I do know is this: God wants Michael to be steadfast (firm in purpose), and He longs for my soul to wait on Him. Sometimes I don't hear Him speaking. Sometimes I think He's playing a cruel joke. Sometimes I want to slam shut the Bible and say, "This Book sucks and is not only boring, but totally doesn't apply to where I'm at!" However, when I wait, when I remain steadfast, when I press on, I hear Him say again and again "Strength comes straight from God". I can't explain how that happens or why it is so stinkin' true in my life. But following my devotion time today...

I felt okay... I feel okay.

I feel strengthened.

I feel refreshed.

So, thanks God. Sorry about saying I thought You might be a bit sadistic. You're not... and I know that. I'll end this with a 'shout-out' to You, like David's in this powerful Psalm:
"Love to you, Lord God!" (Psalm 62:12 - The Message).

9 comments:

  1. I read :)

    ...and actually I had a big long comment typed out on the "dumbing down the message" post and it got eaten by my computer. Sorry you didn't get to read my very insightful words on that one - lol!

    I'm sorry that people like to attack and drag others down...as if you don't have enough on your plate already! If they really thought you were getting drunk with others in the church (which I'm positive you're not) or whatever else it is that's "going around", why wouldn't they come to you instead of talking behind your back. I don't really get it.

    God definitely does speak in some funny ways sometimes and I'm glad he spoke to you and refreshed you today!! Stay strong in the Lord! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing. Sorry!

    I came across this little poem from Mother Teresa a while back and thought it might be encouraging:

    People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered;

    forgive them anyway.


    If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, alterior motives;

    be kind anyway.


    If you are successful you will win some false friends and true enemies;

    succeed anyway.


    If you are honest people may cheat you;

    be honest anyway.


    What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;

    build anyway.


    If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;

    be happy anyway.


    The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;

    do good anyway.


    Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;

    Give the world the best you've got anyway.


    You see, in the end, it is between you and God;

    it was never between you and them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being so REAL. I enjoy getting a sneak-peek at your relationship with God. I am also thankful that you speak to Him the same way you speak to me...like a person you have a growing, ever-changing relationship with. Thank you for being a man. A man that doesn't pretend. A man that asks for help. A man that doesn't hide that he struggles just like I do sometimes. Mostly, thank you for being a man after God's own heart. You are a fabulous teacher! Another great male role model for my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a wise man one said; "Dude, that sucks". I hate to think of people having time to do anything but try and live out this life that has been gifted to us, in a manner that would make our Father smile, and by backing up, strengthing, lifting up the man who so diligently tries to bring us the message that God himself wants up to hear. Be strong Michael the devil does not want us on fire for God he just wants us on fire. We Love you, Jeff W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Deeds would say...
    "You climb mountains and build skyscrapers
    You made TV shows and put out newspapers
    You were wicked good at doing stocks
    You liked it when Amilio would change you socks
    We never hung out and that makes me sad
    All the good times we could have had
    But when I die MICHAEL
    You better say cheers
    Cause me and you are hanging at the pearly gates
    Ill bring the beers
    Ill bring the beers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard a rumor that you're a pretty cool dude and a big encouragement and inspiration. I'd like to think it's pretty true.

    I hope today is going better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard a rumor that you're a pretty cool guy and a big encouragement and inspiration. I'd like to thinks it's true.

    Hope today is going better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steadfast is like still playing hard when your team is getting spanked. Good reminder, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is totally amazing the things people say and do! Michael, personally I think it is very humbling that you open yourself up the way you do. Yes, maybe that gives people more landscape to hit, but for me it is very humbling.
    Thank you for being authentic.
    Thank you for living your life openly the way I believe Jesus did when he walked on this earth.
    Thank you for showing us a life that aspires to know God in a real way, not be the man up front with all the answers.
    Thank you for being a mirror. A mirror that reflects Jesus love.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?