Thursday, March 11, 2010

John 13:35


Studying for my message this week I found myself re-reading a book I had read less than two years ago: "Mother Teresa: No Greater Love" (New World Library - Novato, California September 1997.) This book came out in January of 1997 and just a short nine months later this astounding woman went home to be with her first Love, Jesus. I'm totally blown away by how this woman radically influenced such a variety of people... by just being a woman who loved God and loved others, regardless of what they looked like.

Mother Teresa influenced millions of people, of that there is no doubt. However, I wonder how she would have responded to the famous image of her face being tattooed upon somebody’s neck? If you ask me, I think it is beautiful - in so many ways.

I wonder why he was drawn to Mother Teresa? Was it her service of the poor, her humility, her love and devotion for her Savior or the Catholic Church? I wonder what this young man’s experience of Jesus is? What about the church? Has he ever been? I wonder how he feels about the people and community of God that Mother Teresa was deeply embedded within? How would he respond to the word Christianity? What does this say about spirituality today?

Mother Teresa once said, "Love each other as God loves each of you, with an intense and particular love. Be kind to each other: It is better to commit faults with gentleness than to work miracles with unkindness."

This past week I spent some hours in a tattoo shop. One of my favorite things to do is notice people’s artwork, and ask them what significance it has to them personally? Does their tattoo speak of a heart of longing, significance, hope, life, death, attention, desire, love or loss?

Looking at this picture, I wonder how this guy would respond?

I know that if I saw this guy face to face, I'm pretty sure he'd wonder why I was staring. I hope he'd be surprised to find that the reason I was staring might be far from what he was imagining.

What can I say; I love, and am fascinated by, God’s children.

One last tidbit from the book that totally rocks me (page 23-24) :
"One day I picked up a man from the gutter. His body was covered with worms. I brought him to our house, and what did this man say? He did not curse. He did not blame anyone. He just said, 'I've lived like an animal in the street, but I'm going to die like an angel, loved and cared for!' It took us three hours to clean him. Finally, the man looked up and said, 'Sister, I'm going home to God.' And then he died. I've never seen such a radiant smile on a human face as the one I saw on that man's face. He went home to God. See what love can do!...Jesus said, 'As often as you did it for one of my least brothers, you did it for Me'(Matthew 25:40 RSV). And this is where you and I fit into God's plan."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?