Thursday, June 17, 2010

Two Birds With One Stone

I rode my motorcycle to work today. A drive that should have taken me 5 minutes took me 30 minutes. Why? Because, I accomplished two important goals with one simple ride. But before I get into that, let me explain...

Thursdays are my study day. I seclude myself in my study and I pour into the Bible and various other books that help me understand this supernaturally unique Book.

Can I be real honest? It's a day that I totally love... and at the same time, sorta dread.

I love it because reading God's Word is something that I've always thought was cool. I truly believe that the Bible is God's Love Letter and that it has the distinctive power to speak to right where I'm living... today. I dread this day too, because I find that I'm often reading and studying for the express purpose of making it clear for others... and not for my personal edification or enjoyment. With that comes a serious measure of 'stress' and a number of questions: 'Will this make sense to anyone other than me?' 'Am I interpreting this correctly?' 'Who am I going to offend this time if I reveal what I'm truly finding here?'

I suppose over the years the love of studying has out-weighed the dread of it. Perhaps due to the fact that, even in the midst of in-depth study, serious stress, and heart-felt questioning... God seems to always speak directly to me. He consistently encourages me. He constantly convicts me. He faithfully shows up... to be with me.

So... I sorta dread it. But I mostly love it.

When Jesus arrived in a city called, Bethany with many of His disciples (Luke 10:38), Martha knew that she was going to have a lot of work to do. In her culture, women often measured their worth by how well they performed "women's chores" like cooking and cleaning.

But Mary chose to sit at Jesus' feet and listen to His teaching, remember? In her culture, people sat on chairs for normal occasions or reclined on couches for banquets. Folks only sat "in the dust" at someones feet (as rabbis put it) if they were that person's disciple. Mary was, therefore, making a pretty radical statement, because women were not supposed to become disciples according to the culture of the day. Women were rarely trained as disciples. In one recorded exception, Beruryah (the wife of Rabbi Meir), had became so well educated that she was like a rabbi herself. Nevertheless, most men would not listen to her simply because she was a woman. Jesus, however, welcomes Mary as His disciple, to learn at His feet.

Remember how Martha wanted help with the chores, but Jesus commended Mary for seeking to be a disciple? "Mary has chosen the right thing, and it won't be taken away from her"(Luke 10:42).

Too often we are like Martha, consumed by the things our culture demands that we accomplish. What if Jesus wants us, most of all, to take the time to learn at His feet - to be His disciples?

I think a disciple's main goal is to become like their rabbi (teacher), not to simply gather information in order to teach it to others.

This is a huge issue with me... and I'd be willing to bet with other persons who are required to teach, preach, and share the Gospel Message. I firmly believe that I must be a man who sits at the feet of Jesus in order to, first and foremost, become like Him as I learn from Him what He's trying to teach ME. Secondly, I take those truths and do my best, with the help of the Spirit of Jesus, to make them applicable to those He's put in my life.

I rode my motorcycle to work today. A drive that should have taken me 5 minutes took me 30 minutes. Why? Because, I accomplished two important goals with one simple ride:

First, I got myself to work. This is a practical necessity for me. I've got to get to my place of employment. Riding a motorcycle helps me do this in a very cost-effective way.

Second, I enjoyed the ride. On a beautiful day like today, I can just soak up nature. I feel the freedom of the air whipping me in my face. I have no radio, no cell phone, nothing but a few moments of quiet, which leads to a perfect environment for a much-needed conversation with God.

Is it possible to kill two birds with one stone? Sure it is. I'm finding that it's as I study, as I sit at the Master's feet, that I not only am being fed personally, but I'm also able to learn things that I can hopefully pass on to others.

However, the goal for such times is to simply be with, and be like, my Jesus.

Selah

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Throwing some stones right now and looking for all the dead birds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Just follow Jesus and He takes care of the navigation. Sure beats driving in Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?