Monday, June 21, 2010

John 4:23

In my morning devotion I read an old Jewish story that tells of a mute shepherd boy who slips into the back of a synagogue toward the end of the Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) service. He is totally frustrated that he cannot join in with the fervent prayers of the Holy Day. The service approaches its climax as the entire congregation cries out seven times, "Adonai Hu HaElohim!" (the Lord, He is God). At this exact moment the shepherd boy pulls from his pocket a little whistle that he had carved from a peach pit to call his sheep. At the final repetition of the mighty declaration, he lets out a shrill blast that lingers long after the words end. The congregation gasps in unison and gazes at him in horror. He has desecrated this holy moment! But the wise old rabbi smiles at the lad. "Finally," he says, "we are ready to end the service, because we have prayed with all our heart."

This mute kid was worshipping with what the Jews call, 'kavvanah'.

You see, the form of prayer is important, but kavvanah - the heart's intention to worship God - is indispensable. I believe that we are all involved in a constant struggle to maintain kavvanah in the midst of our busy routines and schedules. Sometimes even religious routine can inhibit kavvanah. But like the old rabbi, we must recognize that some "distractions" may actually serve to draw us closer to God. Some "distractions" might be perfectly appropriate... when they come from hearts of those who authentically love and adore God.

May I care way more about the God I'm worshipping than the way I worship.

May I be open to the unexpected people or events that may come to shake up my little routine and restore my focus on the true Love of my life, Jesus Christ.

Today, may nothing else matter to me in comparison to my deepest desire, which is to hang out (fellowship, abide, cling to, intimately commune) with the Lord - Adonai.

"Everything in me waits for Adonai more than guards on watch wait for morning (Psalm 130:6).

1 comment:

  1. This is really good, because sometimes I want to be really noisy and boisterous while worshiping. I always suspected that God didn't mind though.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?