Friday, January 28, 2011

Net Prophets

Sorta bummed right now.

I just found out that the end of the world is coming on May 21st, 2011.
I think I'm supposed to be excited for Jesus' return, right? However, throughout my life there have been so many predictions on exactly when that was supposed to happen I find it hard to take it seriously. Apparently there is nothing new under the sun... except, of course, declaring that 'Judgement Day' will be on a specific day.

Sheesh!

I have so many problems with this, I don't know where to start! In college I remember being told the "88 Reasons Jesus Will Return in 1988". People prayed and held all-nighters huddling together and crying. It was like one of those sci-fi movies where people are waiting on the roof of a building with signs welcoming the aliens.

Tony Campolo said it best, "Does wrongly predicting the end of the world ever get old? Seriously?"

My problem with all this ridiculous talk is not only that people ALWAYS get it wrong, and not only that these so-called 'prophets' are netting a bundle of money through their lies. My biggest problem is: What about between now and May 21st, 2011? What if Jesus wants to actually come like a 'thief in the night' and catch folks off guard... and come on January 30th, 2011? Or February 12th? Or April 8th? Is there a chance that people will "turn or burn" on the night of May 20th, but live like a rockstar until then?

Why wouldn't we?

Is Christianity really all about predicting the exact moment when Jesus will return? Why? For what reason? To prepare us? For what? Eternity?

I thought Jesus taught that the Kingdom of Heaven... is now? If the goal is only to 'make the cut' on Judgement Day, then maybe my father was right all those times when he said, "After someone says the sinner's prayer the preacher should take out a 44 Magnum and blow them away right there and then!" Wouldn't that save us a bunch of heartache and pain? "Screw" trying to live holy and righteous and enduring trials and persevering through all tribulations!

I just want my fire-insurance and I'll pick it up on sale, on May 20th, thank you very much.

What if the goal of the Christian is not 'Heaven' and where you go when you take your last breath, but where you are and what you are doing as you take your NEXT breath?

Listen, Jesus is gonna come one day, and the kingdoms of this world will then become the kingdom of our God. It WILL happen, and that's awesome! But didn't Jesus Himself say that it is pointless to try and pinpoint its precise date (See Matthew 24:34-42)?

We should be very careful with this kind of garbage. For thousands of years now people have been predicting 'the end of the world'... and it hasn't happened yet. Truly, people can twist the Bible to state whatever they seem to want it to state and predict whatever they desire. We need to be careful.

Jesus could come on May 21st, 2011... and He could come today at 5:13pm. We don't know. And I'm cool with that, you know why? Because my goal is to hang out with Jesus now - to have relationship with the Father this second. I'm not in this thing to keep from burning in the Devil's version of a massive easy-bake-oven. I'm in it to enjoy 'LIFE' daily with the One that loved me enough to give His life for mine.

When we predict dates for Jesus' return, we not only jeopardize the validity of the Gospel in a multitude of people's eyes when we are consistently wrong, we promote the underlining message that God only gave us Jesus to save us from Hell. The truth is God loves you and I very much and wants to begin His intimate relationship with us right now.

May we all enjoy this day, and every day, as those who are head-over-heels-in-love with Jesus - ALWAYS looking for His return, but enjoying His presence now.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, PMC. Thanks for the encouragement toward the truth in the face of all the shock stuff out there. I've seen worse than just predicting the dates; the same folks who think they know the day and hour can also hold some downright scary beliefs about the end times, and seem to only want to scare people. It makes me sad. Your exposition of the truth, on the other hand, rocks. This post is spot-on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about 11:11 (pm. for Pastor Michael) on Nov 11, 2011? That would be the 11th hour. Do you think God observes daylight savings time or not?

    "Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."

    Quote from Jesus in Matthew 28:20

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee, why didn't I think of that!?!

    Of course, Jesus will come back in the 11th hour! Your right on here, bro!

    Then again, wouldn't 11/11/1011 have been better than 11/11/2011? Or what about 11/11/1111? That would have been perfect!!! God must have screwed up.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?