Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's YOUR Story?

Recently, at Desperation Church, we’ve been discussing the idea that we each have a story. Our lives, much like a story, are unfolding scene after scene, much like a movie or the chapters in a book. We’re seeing that Jesus means for our stories to be much more grand than many of us have accepted. He longs for our life’s tale to be mind-blowingly ‘EPIC’.

I heard of an idea from a pastor/friend of mine in the St. Louis area, named Shane Adkisson. He pastors Mosaic St Louis. Shane is an awesome Jesus-lover and a creative leader. He has an approach to hearing people’s stories that is such a neat idea, I wanted to steal it and share it here in hopes of learning the individual stories of those who read this little blog. You know what they say, “Copying is the sincerest form of plagiarism”. Shane talks about how he enjoys inviting people to tell him about one of a few different things:

• a relationship
• a project
• a moment where they exceeded expectations
• a moment where they were told they did a great job.

Here’s the only catch: One of these has to be from before they were 10 yrs old. One has to be from before they were 18, and then the rest from adulthood, but none can have anything to do with their present job.

I’d love for you to take a few minutes and let me know part of your story within these parameters. So often we define who we are by what we do (occupationally) currently. You may leave a comment here, or you may write to my email at: frontdesk@desperationchurch.org ('attention Michael').

Be funny, be boring, be whatever you want... just be authentic. I'd just seriously love to know you better.

Thanks so much, and from this moment on, may our story always be one that revolves around the Main Character, Jesus.

3 comments:

  1. I grew up in a Pentecostal church and from the time I was 5 yrs. old I wanted what they call the "Holy Ghost," which is the holy spirit manifested by speaking in tongues. I wanted the Holy Ghost OH SO BAD!!!

    From the time I was 5 yrs. old until I was 9 - seriously, imagine this - I was the first one down at literally EVERY SINGLE ALTAR CALL! EVERY SINGLE ONE!

    I think back and feel SO SORRY for that poor pastor... in Pentecostal churches they go and "tarry" with people - sometimes for hours! And boy - I was so determined - I'd stay down there forEVER! And my sweet Aunt Mag (also my Sunday school teacher) would go down and tarry with me - each time!

    I'm quite certain I was the cause for our pastor (Bro. Carter) not extending at LEAST a few altar calls... he knew chubby little Vicki would be prancing right down there - and YET AGAIN his bedtime would be prolonged.

    I finally spoke in tongues at VBS the year I turned 9. I believe (after much thought and prayer over the years) that I truly did speak in tongues (still do during prayer from time to time), and I don't believe it was emotionally induced, otherwise, why would I tarry for so long, and so hard, and then finally, at VBS no less, have the experience. FOUR YEARS OF CHUBBY VICKI HOGGIN' THE ALTAR! AND THE ALTAR CALL TIME! Poor Bro. Carter...

    P.S. Pastor Michael: Your message was so awesome last Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki,

    I LOVED reading this! Thank you so much for sharing!

    I have found, even to this day, that speaking in 'tongues' can often be an intimate part of my personal prayer time! I also have a cool story about when I went to the Philippines and the Lord somehow gave the ability to a roomful of Philipino pastors to be able to understand this slurring American... but that's for another time!

    And thanks for your kind words about the message on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got fired from my job on January 20, 2011. By the 23rd I was on a plane with a friend (used the last of my frequent flier miles) bound for Key West. I wanted to figure out what went wrong.
    Well I only had $200 cash and a little room on my credit card. Plane fare was $20.00 for the both of us, good start, but what to do? Well I rented a mini van for $301.01 (credit card) for 9 days. Voila! transportation and hotel for two. Bought an air mattress and blanket, some grub to put into a styrofoam cooler and we were off on a grand adventure. Sunrise and sunsets, warm beaches, cool breezes. Days ran into each other before they ran out. Picture takers heaven. Wildlife, landscapes, children and aged Floridians. So where is all going? Well God must have known I would need this because everything just fell into place without much more than a whisper of prayer. What are the chances of living on the beach, spending the night in the van, finding places to toilet and clean up, making the money stretch and all the while feeling safe and at peace with the world? I figure I must have been doing the right thing. Except for one small pit in my stomach; even though they wished me well, I felt guilty or sad that everyone I loved could not have felt what I felt for those 9 days. The pain of sleeping on the van floor in the cold nights. The one meal and 1 snack per day that we allowed ourselves. The lack of warm showers, questions about being homeless by State Rangers. Making memories to last my lifetime only.
    Well I had an Epic Adventure, I communed with God every morning and I thanked Him for every day. I rejoiced in the fact that I am 58 years old and still have the grit, determination and courage to do what it takes to set my life right side up again. All praise be to God and thanks to Him I can still make lemonade!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?