Saturday, July 7, 2012

What Do YOU Think?

With the rise of technology in our culture, it was only a matter of time before "the Church" was going to have to catch up in order to keep up. I suppose the first time hymnals were replaced with an overhead projector, transparent slides with the words of our choruses printed upon them, and a little lady with a bun hair-do sliding those transparencies up and down while singing with the congregation... we began this game of 'catch-up'. Since those days, we have giant screens and coffee bars and even nifty gadgets to inform parents that their children are in need of immediate attention for acting like wild heathen. With our 'behind-the-ear', flesh-colored microphones we've certainly come a long way from when Jesus shouted at people from a mountain side. If you walk into most churches today you'll find that modern technology has been embraced big time. The truth is, if we could afford it, we'd all have as much technology as we could get.

Think about it fellow pastors and church-employees... wouldn't it be awesome to have automatic flushing urinals and toilets to save us from experiencing some of those beautiful "fragrances of the fellowship" that have been left over from the weekend?

However, with technology has come some negative stuff too. With cell phones owned by anyone older than seven, we now have to give our polite, little announcements asking (pleading, begging, threatening) for people to "please turn them off... or at least put them on vibrate". Then, through some magical, demonic, wizardry someone figured out a way to put GAMES on cell phones! Then, with the invention of the infamous iPod... and now iPad... (and about 50 other hand-held devices that I can't begin to name) those games have gotten incredibly cool! And... it's not just games. The entire world is at a person's fingertips, via the internet, right there... as a person sits in a room full of others... at church.

If a pastor makes a reference to a current event, one doesn't have to wait til they get home... they can immediately check up on that pastor and make sure his facts are straight. "Wait a minute! Did the pastor, while talking about the importance of bringing Jesus to the world, just say that the capital of Argentina is Buenos Aires? I don't think that's right! I seem to recall it's San Juan... luckily I brought my handy-dandy, hand-held, battery operated encyclopedia here to check him out. Hmmmm... hey, wow... he was right, it is Buenos Aires. Oh well. Hey... he's already closing in prayer. Man, I sure didn't get much out of church today. I wish we had a better preacher that could hold my attention!" 


Okay... so maybe I exaggerate? Or maybe not?

I suggest that if we fast-forward a few more years, with the rate of technology being grasped by the "Church", we are going to find ourselves in a VERY different place. It's going to get harder and harder for preachers/speakers/teachers to communicate to the tops of people's heads, as they look down at their tiny keyboards. It can be disheartening to hear of someone, after a service, who is going through a serious tragedy in their lives and desperately needed to be in the presence of God, the worship of God, and His powerful Word... but they couldn't concentrate and focus on what was happening because the person next to them was answering emails and playing Tetris.

Perhaps preachers... like this one... are just TOO sensitive? Perhaps we need to simply embrace the culture, shut up about this and keep doing what we've always done, allowing those who want to receive our messages, to receive them? Perhaps we only sound like whiny, control-freak, babies that simply want all the attention to be on us? Perhaps this is really 'no big deal'?

Still others might say, "Ban it all! Put up signs, put the ushers on alert, and keep that stuff out of the Lord's House!" But that... just doesn't feel right.

What do YOU think? I'd actually be very interested to know. I believe that this issue is something that is going to hit ministers and congregations all over the world, if it hasn't already. I believe that this issue is going to cause many ministers and teachers to 'throw in the towel', if it hasn't already. Why? Simply because it's disheartening to prepare, study, pray, and pour your heart into something... that seems to be falling on deaf-ears... or at least upon ears that are plugged with 'ear-buds' connected to an iPod.

Of course, we can't give up! The Good News of God's Gospel is just too important... and needed in our culture, as it is in every culture. So... we must be willing to try new things. Much like a missionary that God calls to another part of the earth might learn a new language in order to reach that particular people-group, so too I believe that we all should be willing to research and find ways to reach the very culture we find ourselves in now. As a preacher to this and the next generation, I'm open to suggestions. One thing we've tried recently is hooking up with YOUVERSION and placing some minimal notes of my sermons on line that the techies can follow along with, while I preach. You can see this weeks notes by clicking here: notes

I hope some will comment here with suggestions. I appreciate those of you who would give up five minutes to listen to the ramblings of a weird guy like me. I love you... with a super deep Jesus love.

Michael

8 comments:

  1. As a teacher I completely understand the frustration with electronic devices. Nothing is more frustrating than when you are you are trying to teach and you feel like people aren't listening. But I also know that everyone is different and we all learn differently. While I don't bring my phone into church for fear that it will ring or distract someone, my husband is completely attached to his phone and loves that he can follow your notes now!

    I do believe that technology is also such a blessing to others in many ways. One example for our family is that we have never had to miss one of your sermons when out of town. We are always super bummed when we have to miss church but with technology we never have to miss your teaching. There have been times that on our way home from being out of town we listen to the podcast as a family in the car.

    I like to think for the few people sitting in church who are not paying attention because they are playing games there are hundreds of others who are now able to listen to God's word because of technology. I believe that technology is helping reach people who maybe would've never walked into a church building.

    We appreciate all you do and are so glad you are back!

    Thanks!

    The Shanks Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right before I saw this I read the article below: busyness used to fill the void, basically (read it - it's good).

    I think some use technology (music especially) like some use busyness - because they're afraid of the sound of silence, or perhaps, in this case, the sound of the Spirit convicting. If that's true, it's not the technology that's the problem, but the state of the heart. And isn't that always the root of the problem anyway?

    Don't let it get to you. It may be disheartening to see someone who appears to be googling European wrestlers while you're preaching, but the percentage of people who come to listen to what God is speaking through you is much greater that the handful who are just now learning to listen. Either way it's God's area. We can't mandate maturity and if isn't a phone it will be something else. Remember when kids used to pass notes?

    On a practical note, DC culture is (I think) the best remedy for this issue. If THE BODY makes it known that it's socially unacceptable to use technology for anything other than YouVersion or taking notes there will be fewer issues. Friends don't let friends text in church.

    The Busy Trap: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/?smid=fb-share

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a millennial I have to admit I love technology. I think there are endless ways to use technology that are beneficial. I enjoy learning new ways that technology can be used to make live easier, more enjoyable, create a conversation, and enable community.

    That being said, the effects of always being "plugged in" via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc...can't be ignored. I think this generation (my generation) is living in a word of social paradox. An example is that we are always connected but also alone. A 15 yr old can be texting with 5 people, chatting on Facebook, and tweeting all while in their room alone. This topic is explored more in the book, Generation iY by Tim Elmore.

    Working with high school students I see some of the same situations and frustrations you have expressed. Mainly guys tied to the cell phones during bible studies and face-to-face conversations. However, I tend to learn towards thinking about technology (internet, cell phones, etc..) as neutral. They are not good on their own and they are not bad on their own. It depends how they are used and controlled which determines that.

    Either way, technology will continue to advance and I am already looking forward to the iPhone XXVII (9G).

    Thanks for sharing Michael.
    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Tiny Thunder, "friends don't let friends text" (I know who you are TT)... I feel in many churches technology has become acceptable due to the fact that few pastors "prepare, study, pray, and pour" their hearts into sermons even a smidge as you do, Michael. I've NEVER heard a sermon EVEN COME CLOSE to a Michael Craft Sermon (on your worst day), and I've been going to church for 52 years... So why WOULD pastors be so upset - as long as they have another warm body in their congregation? As you've said before, many churches are all about the numbers, where attendance-wise or financially.

    Another problem with technology - during church - is the people are missing out on the Craft Animation! You really "put flesh and bones" on the Bible stories, Michael, let alone go way beyond what many of us could fathom without your nudging or suggestion - so those heads that are looking down, even if they're playing games - YOU GONNA HAVE TO IGNORE!

    As for THE BODY - TT nailed it - hey you! WHOMEVER YOU ARE, if I hear a Tetris song around my area - during church - I'm gonna talk to you about it (if you're lucky AFTER church is over).

    I COME TO HEAR THE WORD AND WORSHIP! What Mandy is speaking of is very different, I feel, from what Michael is saying. Yes, technology IS good - to a certain degree... When it encroaches upon the Lord's House, I am NOT down with that.

    PAY ATTENTION! Pastor Motorcycle Man actually has some pretty awesome stuff to say to us! PAY ATTENTION! ALL OF THAT SAID IN LOVE. Seriously, I love the people I go to church with.

    Vicki Croan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desperation Church has defied my preconceptions of "church" since the first day we visited. Worship was different, the offering and communion were way different, there was no doxology, etc. Since pastors at my previous churches never called out in-church behaviors, this could be another defining characteristic of DC. Maybe say something pointed like, "Dude, don't play Tetris in here." Zzzzzing! If you say that, I won't even try to take credit for coming up with it. It's yours.
    Really, though, the message God had for us this past weekend was directed to followers, not so much for the attenders, right? Maybe it's okay to bring up this type of junk in church, even if only half the church is playing Tetris. The other half can sit there for a second. You're right that it is becoming a big deal. You're free to deal with it. I don't think it's going to offend people the way the idea of serving the community once a month offends people.
    The Youversion addition to the DC ministry is amazing, by the way. It's really neat. The only problem is that I don't want to use it during church because I'm worried some guy across the room is going to think I'm checking emails or playing Tetris or something. Irony. Like rain on a wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me.... I know your heart Michael. While the idea of being able to draw anymore (if possible) from your sermons sounds wonderful. I know for certain it would interfere with hearing the message. ( I can barely take notes without having that problem.) To have that information at my disposal is still great for me to have it home. When I'm at the movies and I see phone screens light up before me I wish I could flick on the lights and remove the device or the people using the devices as it creates distraction. (and a lot of times I find myself just getting disturbed that people are not paying attention to the message, which really shouldn't be any of my business I guess) . I believe that with the latest news of your notes being available to be followed as you preach via the online access, we are about to see an explosion of iPad iPod's phone users in our church. Will this create further distraction I don't know.
    Michael you might need to raise the wattage of the bulbs overhead and put on some headphones but I hope not. Regardless, I was not distracted by anyone this weekend just shook up by the Holy Spirit and thankful to God chose you to bring His word to us.
    love you Michael
    Jeff W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps a sign over the door that reads,
    "Put away your SMART phone, it makes you look STUPID."

    The paradox is this; the more we give in to this new addiction to technology, the more it is squeezing out the very thing we hope to gain - meaning, significance, and relationship. I don't mean to demonize technology, but like anything else, there is place for it. A glass of wine may be great with a nice dinner, but not while driving a school bus. Texting is fine, but not while driving or deep sea diving.

    Bottom line is this; God is bigger than any technology we could ever develop. Instead of fighting technology, we should focus on real relationships and community. It may be counter-culture, but may be our only hope. Instead of connecting on 4G, let's seek to connect on 4GOD. (how's that for cheesy?)

    That's the way I see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee! You rock bro! Your response was awesome! Praise God for follower's of His Son who truly care about paying attention to the message and not allowing their focus to be distracted by an electronic devise! I had a pastor once who made a funny suggestion to his flock. Leave all watches in the car and or put them away,so as not to force a rush on the word being spoken. Wondering when the football game starts or how close is it to T time on the golf course. My family and I left an apostate church not too long ago. Every Sunday was a challenge and a pain to have to hear all the phones going off and or being used during the message time! Super sad and shocking to behold. God chose the best animal to describe people. Sheep. Ignorant,lazy,easily swayed and truly lost without a good shepard. The smart sheep stay focused and hopefully encourage the strays to wake up and do the same! Great topic Michael!
      Live ready folks! What might be missed during church on Sunday could have been most needed to know on Monday.

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?