Saturday, January 30, 2010

We're Finally Home!


Friday night at exactly 8pm we drove up the driveway to our home. We had left our home the previous Saturday at 7pm to begin our adventure of driving straight to Miami, Florida to retrieve our two girls. Last Saturday we were a family of six. Now we are a family of eight!

It was a long, but really fun trip home. We sang. We played cards. We listened to music. We laughed. Everybody but me slept. We stopped at various rest stops and fast food joints and hotels. We began our bonding process. It was awesome.

All six of my kids were awesome. I am so proud of each and every one of them. Conor (17) is a loving, caring big brother. He is a leader. To see him interact with the new girls is something that blows me away. Kolten (15) is so considerate and kind. He is constantly making sure everyone is comfortable and safe, while making all of us laugh our heads off. Maria (14) is quiet, shy, and a little freaked out. Yet, with all she's been through recently, she is kind and shows an excitement for what lies ahead. When she experiences something brand new (like snow, Wal-Mart, or sour patch gummy bears) she simply smiles and widens her eyes without saying a word. Caleb (13) has, too, been such a great blessing. He can get our youngest (Merci) laughing like no one else. He let Maria braid his long hair, which I know was painful for him, but barely even whimpered. Michaela (10) is so happy to have two more girls in the family! At times I'd watch her in my rear-view mirror (remember we just spent three days in a van) and marvel at how beautiful and loving she is. Merci Klarrah (5) I've started calling 'Klaire-Bear' for some reason. She is just fun. Everything is new and everything is exciting. Ever since I've known Merci, since meeting her almost four years ago, she has had a curious habit of sucking on three of her fingers with her opposite arm covering her eyes. I've come to learn that she does this when she is feeling nervous or scared. In the past three days I've only seen her do this twice! She is sure loved... and I think she gets that.

We were so excited to show the girls our home. Wow, were we surprised. As we were gone some magic elves came into our house... and transformed it!

Our upstairs bathroom was completely gutted and re-done. New beautiful tile is now on the floor, in the tub, and around the sink! The faucets in the sink and shower/tub are new and super cool. New towels and shower curtain that actually match are hanging.

The upstairs attic was cleaned out, the doors that were falling down were taken out and replaced with drywall, insulation, and a new 36" door that completely keeps the cold out of Caleb's room! (This may not seem like a big deal to anyone, but you just have no idea what a burden this was on me... and what a blessing it is to have done.)

The girls room was rearranged to have three beds, three dressers, and set up cuter than you can imagine! Notes were left for Maria that she immediately read with a huge smile on her face.

The house was dusted from top to bottom. The ceiling fans, that previously had a special science experiment taking place on them in the form of one entire inch of dust, had been wiped cleaner than a plate of food put in front of Merci!

Perhaps the best part, or at least the most meaningful to our new daughters, was the fact that there were pictures of THEM all over the house! Right alongside Conor, Kolten, Caleb, and Michaela's pictures in our main dining room were new, big pictures of Maria and Merci! This actually made Kelli cry and me so appreciative of the friends and family that we have here in Liberty!

I could go on and on, but won't for sake of time. I just want those involved (you elves know who you are) to know that you can never understand what you've done. I love you, I love you, I love you. More than words can say,... I love you.

We were all tired, so after an awesome meal (that was prepared for us and waiting in the crock-pot... another 'thank-you') we got ready for bed. I read a book about monkeys to Merci and brushed her teeth. Maria and Michaela tried on new clothes that had been left for them in their dressers. The boys showered in their new bathroom. Kelli started doing laundry. And then we all held hands and prayed together as a family - thanking God for His mysterious love and care, and for the many blessings we enjoy.

Life is good. We're finally home.

6 comments:

  1. Michael, this is just way too awesome to even put into words. You and I have talked about this to some degree, and I can't begin to tell you how much joy I feel for you. Not only that, but that I can totally relate to the sense of something longed for finally coming to fruition. As my friend, I'm so very happy to see your family growing in the way you've been yearning for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, we've been following your "story" since the beginning. The Popenhagens are so thrilled! I'm bawling at the thought of those pictures, family pictures, how they should be. . .wow! We love you all. I can think of no better parents for Maria and Merci than you and Kelli.

    Diane Popenhagen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael and Kelli, I imagine the joy you have supercedes all of the tiredness, agony, stress and trouble that this journey has served up. Not just over the past few weeks, but over the past 3 years of this process. We are so very happy for you guys and we treasure the role that God has allowed each of us to play in your lives. We're happy to be your family.

    We can't wait to meet everyone when you guys are ready. The super-exciting part of this for us is to have 3 new members of OUR family too (counting Layla, of course.) The ride is just beginning and we're all up for it too.

    To quote one of my all-time favorite movies:

    Willy Wonka: But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he he always wanted.
    Charlie Bucket: What happened?
    Willy Wonka: He lived happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PMC, this is so exciting! And how AMAZING that your family was surprised and blessed in such a way when you got home! I can't wait to meet the girls and give them great big hugs, if that's okay with them. :)

    - Cattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even begin to express how excited we are for you guys! This is just so cool!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this out loud to Andreas and we both were so excited and awed by this news. Thank you for keeping the update going. I am excited that you have finally received the gift of these two girls. Hope you are doing well and able to get some sleep with all the excitement and newness of life!
    Be blessed!
    Leia and Andreas
    in Sweden
    P.S. Hi to Kelli too

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?