Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shaken Not Stirred

I'm a pastor.

One of the 'jobs' of a pastor is providing solid, Biblical, relevant teaching to various numbers of people. I've been doing that, on a regular basis, since 1989. You'd think after that amount of time it would be something that I'm comfortable with, and feel confident in. However, I find myself nervous each and every time I am required to stand before folks and talk... about God.

Over the years I've shared this nervousness with certain friends. I'm often told that I "don't seem nervous" or that I "have no reason to be nervous". But it doesn't help.

My knees are knocking each and every time I preach.

This morning a friend shared the following quote, by the incredible A.W. Tozer, with me via email:

"I've been preaching since I was nineteen years old and now I'm sixty-three. And yet, after all these years of preaching, I come into the pulpit shaking inside - not because I fear the people, but because I fear God. It's the fear and trembling of knowing that I stand to speak of God and if I don't speak rightly about God, what a terrible error it will be. If I speak evilly of God, what a frightful crime! It is only when I speak well of God that I dare sleep at night without asking forgiveness." [ "The Attributes of God" Vol. 2 ]

I am so thankful for this quote. It comforts me. It encourages me. It gives me hope. It rings wonderfully true in my heart.

As followers of God, you and I are going to be given multiple opportunities to speak into the lives of others. At times those opportunities will position us before large numbers of folks, and at other times we'll be one-on-one with them. There need not be a sense of fear in us, but perhaps there should be a sense of awe and trembling, as we recognize that we are ambassadors. We, literally, are representing the greatest, most powerful, most awesome and mysteriously loving Being ever to those that are desperate... whether they know it or not.

May the whispers of hope reach the ears of hope-hungry people through you and I, and may we never take lightly the remarkable calling we've been given.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Pastor Michael! I can say, I now know what it feels like to to have a relationship with God! I always thought I had, growing up in active church every week and years of attending church camp! Ive always known God! But it's different and so real now! I find myself witnesses to others more than I ever have, I know it's God, working through ME! I want to thank you and my mother for teaching me about a realtionship with my savior! I have been attending Desperation Church for about four years, sometimes not as faithful as I should, but not because I didn't want to! It's easy to slack off! I know as a mother now, It is my job to teach my children about Jesus! What a blessing you are to so many people! You change lives Michael and I know God is so proud of you! Thank you for helping me on my spiritual walk with God! It's amazing! My twin baby boys will be blessed to know Jesus!

    Kellie Bayer

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?