Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Odd Tuesday

Usually my day off is Tuesday, however, yesterday being Labor Day, I took it off instead. I have been in the office all day, with a small exception of being out in the front lawn of the church for about 20 minutes working on a project. During that 20 minute span of time, a woman I have never met approached me and began telling me her story.

Her name is 'Abigail'. Her husband died four months ago. Two of her children have passed away. She is a lonely widow that occasionally attends another church in town. Last night she was driving on highway 152, when she passed a young woman walking, stumbling, and crying on the side of the road. Much like she felt she was to park her car and come speak with a sweaty, tattooed guy in a T-shirt working on a park bench in front of a church, she pulled over on the side of 152 highway to ask a young girl if she was okay.

Abigail picked this girl up. Her story now included a brand new character: 'Tina'. Tina is 19, homeless, hungry, sick with pneumonia, and desperately looking for a place to live, a place to work, and a place that will enable her life to improve. Abigail got Tina to a hospital and purchased food and medication for this hurting girl. However, now she didn’t know what to do.

Abigail introduced me to Tina. Now my story has two new characters in it: Abigail and Tina.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with every local agency I could find, only to be extremely disappointed. As it turns out, to be homeless and get significant help is near impossible… but not totally. Unfortunately, Tina has been through the ringer. She’s dealt with alcoholism since she was eleven and endured the horrors of rape and severe abuse physically and emotionally.

She’s been hardened.

Religion and religious people are not anything that concerns her. She feels God is not ‘knowable’ and absolutely doesn't care about her or her situation. Life’s experiences have left Tina an agnostic to her bitter, hardened, hurting core. My words of ‘comfort’ were as useful as a screen-door on a submarine.

But today Tina’s story, Abigail’s story, and my story… all merged. Why?

I am reminded that I’m really just a tiny part in something much bigger than I often realize… God’s story. As I spoke with these lovely ladies, my heart broke for both of them. As a matter of fact, things got a little awkward when they each saw tears running down my face. After making numerous phone calls securing shelter for Tina, we simply sat down and talked. Each and every idea that I came up with would be shot down by this 19 year old, worldly-wise, un-knowingly desperate girl. She told me how she’d never go to any type of homeless shelter again, because the “people that work in those places treat people like me like we’re lower than dirt”. She said, “I may not have much, but I have my pride and my dignity and I won’t go to a place like that”. She was frustrated. Frustrated at her situation, at her helplessness, and at all those that said they wanted to help, but simply didn't. She then turned her frustration towards God and religion and began a line of questioning that would make a well-versed theologian with a few doctorates quake in their boots. My humble responses were, apparently, less than adequate and I, truly, felt more helpless than I've felt in quite some time. Physically, she would not let me help her. Spiritually, I was trying to be sincere, but came off ‘preachy’ and was absolutely not understood. Complete failure?

For all these reasons, my heart broke.

If these were my feelings, I imagined what God must feel when He sees His creation hurting like this. As things were unfolding, I also imagined how God’s heart must break each time He sees a child choose unwisely. We often talk about God’s power. I think that God would HAVE to be “all powerful” to endure the level of hurt and pain He must tolerate each day He has to look down upon our bad decisions and rebellion.

I'm also reminded that, like three out of the four 'soils' in Luke 8:4-15, sometimes people miss out on the 'good seed' of God's words because of their various negative responses to it. I guess I just never thought of how discouraging that might be for the 'Sower' of that seed. Truly, our God is all powerful and awesome to remain loving, when so many of us continue to not understand and willfully rebel.

Today has been odd. Not one of my favorite days, for sure. However, it has caused me to pause and view some things... and people... through the eyes of God.

I should do that more often.

11 comments:

  1. Hey maybe this is some magical world where when you ask for something like, ideas for DCWOW or even if you have time to run it or maybe even whether you guys should keep doing it at all, the answers just magically appear a couple of days or weeks later, kind of like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Indulge me, what if in this magical world you could do anything you wanted to do, to help people, anything you wanted? But we don't live in that world or do we? 25 "Where is your faith?" Only Charlie won the grand prize.

    With only love for one who has opened my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    Thanks for responding, although I can't tell if you are trying to be mean, or not. Indulge me; If you are being mean, I double-dog-dare you to sign your name. C'mon, wouldn't that make this more fun? Secrecy stinks, don't ya think?

    Anyways... In Luke 8:25 (which is what I assume you are referring to), Jesus asks the disciples 'Where is your faith?' Your use of that in conjunction with the magical world of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I assume, is meant to infer that if I and Desperation Church had more faith we'd be able to meet all the needs of our community. More faith on our part would equal magical goodness, like Charlie received by being a 'believer'? Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding.

    With love for God, Who opens our eyes... and love for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some people want that quick fix the end all be all, but it is hard walking the road with Christ, I know what it means to loss hope when you lost it all. but there is always away if you humble yourself to find it. I am in prayer now that i can find a home, i have a job and no car of my own and being as my mom plans to move a hour away, it is hard when you hit walls, but through Christ i believe the door will be there or God will give you the strength to break the walls down. many people can see what God has for them but only a few choose him over the world. plus it don't help when others claim to be Christians and act otherwise. love you pastor Michael miss you guys and keep on keeping on. you can only do what you can. and just pray for them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this story broke my heart. I think that's awesome that you were there to be a shining light for God. This might have been the first time in a long time that anyone has shone her Gods love. I'm sure it will sink in over time. Cara and I will keep her in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, this should show us that there are many hurting people in our own community. Many of us just don't slow down enough to see them.

    I believe many of these wounded have become calloused towards God because we have set up programs and agencies to give them an occasional hand out, meeting their needs from time to time. Perhaps in doing this, we have tried to show them their need for a relationship with Jesus. The problem here is that we are often not willing to pursue relationships with them ourselves. We help them, but do we really do as God commands and love them?

    The challenge as we develop programs such as DCWOW is to not just love others once a month, but to use these opportunities to seek out and develop relationships with the people we serve. This may require that we follow up. This may be more inconvenient. This may cost us some time and money.

    During the next DCWOW or the next time we encounter a hurting person, let's go into it looking to love beyond the task of the day.

    Matthew 5:40-41:

    And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was not being mean, only love. You can't help everyone. You will always have the poor with you... But Faith...You were the one that opened my eyes to Jesus, thank you. And,yes in Luke, they were in the storm just like Tina, and you stepped into her storm. Jesus said woah why are you crying(freaking out) you have all the resources in the world, just believe and hang on for the ride. You can try and make it better that's what DCWOW is all about, right? DC has made it better. Charlie's heart was pure. Didn't he end up owning the whole Chocolate Factory? What would helping Tina look like. You own the whole Chocolate Factory.

    See You Leader,
    j

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good stuff everyone! I appreciate your comments and wisdom more than I can say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome story Michael! Helping the poor is a BIG one with Jesus! Sadly too many professing Christians avoid this area of need and they sin by not obeying Gods command to reach out to the poor! To the Charlie and the CF individual, I encourage you to really embrace Jesus,repent of your sin and then truly surrender your life into His loving hands! I have been a true servant unto Jesus since 1982 and by the power of the Holy Spirit, I sense that you need to look outside of the box that you appear to be in! Your comments offered no balanced insight and lacked any true,Jesus infused encouragement and or His love for the hurting! We are in the last days and there is much need for true saints to get out of the bleachers and onto the serving the poor field! No excuses,just trust and obey Jesus to show you the way!
    Dwight/Cali drummer 4 Jesus 365

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like that was a tough Tuesday, Pastor Michael.

    Thinking about it, for all the times that my choices have warranted a lightning attack, God's goodness has always struck instead. So true that HIS power must be limitless, given the hurt that I alone have caused HIM. But oh, how HE loves! Thanks, God, for chasing me down, for the "Abigail's" and "Michael's" that YOU've put in front of me, for never turning me loose!

    God surely met Tina right when and where she needed HIM most. No doubt, Abigail needed this experience as well. What an honor that HE trusted you enough to be there too!

    The thing about the Abigails that have pulled over for me: I have not seen them since. They never saw the fruit from the seeds they planted.

    You may never see the fruit from your experience with Tina, but someday in Heaven, you may have someone who looks like her come up to you and begin reciting the lyrics to that Ray Boltz song "Thank You," only altered to fit the context of your interaction with one another! So there's that!

    Too long of a message. Sorry! I'm off to eat some Gobstoppers! Love me some Wonka!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely story! Is this what Christians are supposed to do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pastor Michael,

    I am one of those imperfect people endeavoring to love God whole-heartedly while loving those outside our walls. I believe your Tuesday was an amazing Tuesday. You may have felt that what you offered fell on deaf ears but in reality you opened the doors for her. She will always carrie that day with her. You may have been one of the first to plant seeds or one of many that God is calling to reach out to yhid young girl...his lost sheep. You followed God's prompting and that is what is most important.

    I work with the homeless and impoverished on a volunteer basis and sometimes you reap the reward of seeing change and sometimes you don't.

    Pastor Michael, You and your family have reached out and ministered to many through Wow and through the church services. There are those who attend DC that are lost, Sad, and struggling. You may not even know the ministry you are offering to those for they may never tell you. So I would like you to know the Your family has truly ministered to me so I would have the spiritual strength to go out into the world and in small ways help minister to others. This young 19 year old girl may some day end up next to me or someone else like me ministring to her. You planted the seeds. Thank you and God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?