Saturday, December 17, 2011

Merry Xmas?

In the St Louis area there is a cool place, Mosaic Christian Church, pastored by a super neat guy named Shane Adkisson. Recently, he wrote something that I felt was so good, I wanted to pass it on. Enjoy [and thanks Shane]:

Alright, let me start by saying, I'm probably with you. I mean I don't appreciate seeing "Xmas" plastered around by retailers.

Why? Because Christmas is about Jesus.

But, let me give you something to think about.

Did you know that "X" is the symbol that biblical scholars have used for years for the abbreviation for Christ. Basically it evolved to be the abbreviation because in greek it's the first letter in the word "Christ."

Many years ago, most people didn't read. People came to understand that the symbol "X" stood for Christ. Old buildings where the church (God's people) would gather were often marked with an "X" so the common people, who didn't read, would know that's where the church meets.

I'm not suggesting we be happy about "taking Christ out of Christmas", but I am hoping to give you some slight encouragement when you see it.

For a long time, it's struck me as funny and tragic that many people celebrate Christmas with no idea of what they're celebrating. As unfortunate as that is, I think it's actually quite remarkable at the same time. Whether people know it or not, the world pauses to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

So, when I see the sign declaring the latest "Xmas Sale", I'll consider it unfortunate that they miss the significance of the party; however, I'll choose to be more than offended and I'll marvel in the ability that God has to be proclaimed even when the intentions of men might be otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?