Monday, December 12, 2011

Update on Kelli

I so appreciate all the prayers for my wife, Kelli. I know that everyone wants an update, so I'll give one. I felt this might be the best way to do so. I don't have much time, so this will be quick.

Eight years ago, Kelli had a surgery for something called, Chiari Malformation.

That surgery helped... minimally. At times she has dealt with severe headaches that, I'm told, make migraines seem like stubbing your toe. Since that surgery, she has traveled to the Mayo Clinic twice to seek wisdom and instruction and seen her doctor regularly, as well as naturalist doctors.

Over the past six months, her headaches have become increasingly severe. She has missed work, church, and spent entire days [even a week at a time] mostly in bed. She's had to cease exercise, see a multitude of doctors [both natural in nature and the normal kind], tried multitudes of 'diets' and a plethora of medicines. She's had good days, and horrible days.

After some informal training, I learned how to give pretty good massages, and during this past month, each night while Kelli and I watch an hour of DVR'd "Jeopardy", she receives a semi-world-class massage from yours-truly. Our entire room, and most of the rest of our home, smells like either Bio-Freeze or Icy-Hot... something we've all gotten used to. [Kolten's room is directly above ours and he gets it the worst, as far as smells go. Poor kid.]

All of this has helped... a bit. On a pain scale of 1-10, Kelli has been between a 4-6 at all times, with an occasional 7.

In October, Kelli had a headache she rated at a 14, and was rushed to the hospital. They injected her with something and after a few hours sent us home with instructions to go back to our doctor and have him refer us to a neurologist. We did this and were put on a waiting list to get an appointment with the best neurologist our massive amounts of research could find within the Kansas City Metro area.

We finally were able to see Dr. Malik this past week. He scheduled Kelli for a 'lumbar puncture' this past Friday, which was as soon as he could do it. We went in at 11:45am on Friday, the procedure went well and Kelli went home to recoup. We were warned that 10% of those receiving this invasive surgery suffer what is called a 'spinal headache'.

Friday night her head progressively got worse and on Saturday she had to be rushed to the emergency room. They admitted her Saturday evening and we're still here now.

As I type this at 8:30am Monday, Kelli is [finally] receiving what is called a 'blood patch'. This could have been done Saturday evening, however, the doctors felt and advised that we should try a less traumatic approach. Apparently, 1 out of 10 folks that have a lumbar puncture experience a spinal leak. That fluid causes an un-godly amount of pain, which is the 'spinal headache'. That leak stops itself up in about 4 days and the pain will eventually go away. If you can handle that much pain, its a fine way to go. However, the quicker way to get rid of the pain, involves the doctors removing blood from your arm and quickly injecting it into your spine, where the blood acts like a 'patch' and literally clots the leak up. They say pain can be almost instantaneously lessened when a 'blood patch' is performed. It is, however, a more dangerous way to go... thus making us wait the past two days.

On a side note: If you are planning on being sick, in any way, in the near future. Plan your sickness AROUND the weekend. Hospitals all but shut down on the weekends, with nary a doctor in sight. However, Monday mornings hospitals awaken as though they're the doors of WalMart on Black Friday.

I sound as though I'm upset. Truly, I'm just really tired. Kelli hasn't been able to sleep. She cannot move her head. She cannot get up to use the restroom. She cries... a lot. I just wish they had done what they are doing now... last Saturday. But, praise the Lord, she's receiving treatment now. When she comes out, our hope is that she'll be on the way to feeling better... from the lumbar puncture anyways.

As far as the regular headaches she's been dealing with for the past eight years, we are excited about our new neurologist, Dr. Malik, and hope for his practice of medicine to be guided and directed by our great and wise Doctor in the heavens.

Again... that's a 'quick' update. I hope it answers your questions. Please keep praying, and I'll do my best to keep everyone updated when possible. God bless you all, and Lord... please help my wife.

- Michael

7 comments:

  1. We will be praying for Kelli down here at the lake. Thanks for keeping us informed.

    Love you guys,
    Jason, Angie, Tommy & Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... that is a lot on your plate. I will continue to pray that God will lead you to the answers you need to stop these headaches once and for all. god bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, Kohen and I just prayed for Kelli and your family. We love you guys so much and will keep praying.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Kelly - and poor you! My prayers are with all of you. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying for you Kelli ,love the Barton's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...I have been away much too long and didn't know about any of this. May God be with you all, your family is really precious to everyone at DC and to me. I've seen people posting on facebook that they were praying for Kelli, but I didn't know it was this bad. Of course you are all in my thoughts and in my prayers, especially Kelli. Praying for pain relief and total healing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont work with him but I have only heard good things about Dr malik. You guys are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts?